I really wanted to lift one night with Kristina but decided rest and a nice homemade meal.
I found a recipe for Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry sauce from SimplyRecipes.com. Dave and I thought it was pretty good, but nothing amazing. I might not make it again just because it did take longer than some of my other meals that we like the taste a lot better. But should you give it a try? Why not?!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs (you can use breasts, but the thighs are more flavorful)
- 1 large red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- Hot cooked rice
STEP 3. In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium high heat. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Remove the onions, peppers and garlic from the pan and put into a medium sized bowl. Set aside. Use the same pan for the next step.
STEP 4. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and heat on medium high heat. Add one half of the chicken pieces, spreading them out on the pan so they are not crowded. Brown for a few minutes on each side. When the chicken pieces are cooked through, and no pink remains, remove from pan, add to the bowl with the onions. Cook the second batch of chicken pieces the same way. Remove from pan, add to bowl with onions.
STEP 5. Add the coconut milk, minus a couple tablespoons, to the skillet. In a small bowl, mix the remaining coconut with the corn starch to dissolve the corn starch. Add the corn startch mixture back to the skillet with the coconut milk. Cook on medium heat and stir till thick and bubbly.
STEP 6. Mix in the worcestershire sauce. Add chicken mixture, basil, and ginger. Cook 2 minutes more to cook through.
Do you have any recipes that you think are ok but too much work for not good enough taste?