This Sunday was rainy and dreary so it made me want to find a crock pot meal to make the apartment smell nice. It also has become a habit of mine to make a crock pot meal on Sunday and save it for Monday. I don’t mind spending more time on Sundays in the kitchen cooking a meal, but on weeknights I like to make it as easy as possible for me.
This week I found Martha Stewart’s Slow-Cooker Chicken Mole. I have never made a mole but this looked pretty easy-just get all the ingredients, throw it in a blender, and let ‘er cook in the crock pot!
Overall the meal was pretty good but not one that Dave went, “Oh you should make this again!” Worth a try? I say why not!
- 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12)
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Season chicken thighs with salt and place in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.
- In a blender, puree tomatoes, onion, ancho and chipotle chiles, almonds, raisins, chocolate, garlic, oil, cumin, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Add tomato mixture to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high until chicken is tender, 4 hours (or 8 hours on low).
- Serve chicken and sauce topped with cilantro.